Thursday, June 01, 2006

A Trampling

Maybe you have noticed that I am kind of a fan of St. Augustine. Of course I do not believe everything he does, especially in concerns to regeneration found in the baptismal waters. I do enjoy reading him and learning from this beautiful mind God has given to the Church.

Almost everyday I read a quote of his from an online devo filled with Augustinian quotes, some of which have made it here. Today's quote left me reading it a few times, especially this part, "He [Jesus] saw that their honoring him is useless if they trample upon his members who are here on earth"

This quickly caught my attention because I am not the first on the list with the spiritual gift of mercy. Often I tell my wife that my predominant love language is sarcasm. I am a cynic. I doubt people's motives. I do not believe there is much that is black and white. This leads me to have an attitude that is sometimes less than holy, so this quote completely caught my attention.

I spend many hours reading about what is going on in the Southern Baptist Convention. I do not comment on it often because I really do not want to get caught up in what is going on. I know that most of the controversies are less than holy, especially those in the blogospehere. From Wade Burleson to Tom Ascol and Marty Duren there is much on the web that is driven by less than holy desires. I admit I do not trust these guys when they say they are for integrity, honesty, "biblical principles" (however shoddy their definitions are). Behind most of them is not the glory of God, but some right of power in the SBC.

A couple of years ago the ninth grade girls in our youth group made a shirt that said "whatever" on the front. On the back was the Scripture that said "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Phil 4:8.

This passage falls more in line with what ole Augie was talking about. We should not shirk away from controversy. We should be able to boldly stand against it. That is our heritage. But let the fights be about false doctrine, about heresy, not about who is in power and who is not.

Prove that motive to me and I will stand beside you. Otherwise shut up, you are not honoring God by trampling the Church.

2 Comments:

Blogger wadeburleson.org said...

I would enjoy the privilege of meeting you in Greensboro. Having never met you, I think you might find me different than you imagine.

In His Grace,

Wade Burleson

9:19 AM  
Blogger Tucker said...

isn't it a shame that there exists the phrase "church politics"?

shouldn't that be a contradiction in terms?

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home