Friday, May 19, 2006

What is it about that sound

I was riding in the car one day with the drummer and lead singer of the band I was playing with for while. It was a five hour drive and we had plenty to discuss, so being musicians we only talked about music. The interesting point that was made through this conversation was that Christian music, in general, is cheesy. It is true. What is the last Christian band you listened to? Aside from a handful of bands Christian music as a whole is not in the same game as the rest.

Why would I make this point? This is not a plea for all of to live passionately for Christ and try to not be the annoying religious types that turn people off. I just want to merely point out what music is not cheesy. Think for a second about the last song that was stuck in your head? What was it? What did you like about it that made your mind stay on it?

For me that song has been "Wish You Were Hear" by Pink Floyd, however, often times it some Counting Crows song. The other night I listened to the live 10 minute version of "Round Here" and I was emotionally touched by it. There was some sense of passion that was communicated to my soul and so many others. If you have not heard either of these two songs please check them out. Notice the difference they have compared to the latest Pop Christian hit.

11 Comments:

Blogger cde said...

I think mine was "Pencil Thin Mustache" or "Cheeseburger in Paradise" of course it was just before lunch.

No really...the hymn "Come thy Found of Every Blessing" has been rolling around in my head of late.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

I have a theory about the cheesiness of Christian music: I believe that most of it is cheesy simply because they can get away with it.

Think about it--most Christian music producers are catering to a specific Christian subculture. Their music is not going out to the masses, it is primarily aimed at, marketed to, and delivered to those who only want to listen to Christian music and nothing else.

Thus, Christian music producers know they have a captive audience, for the most part. They can produce all manner of cheesiness and they know their target audience will gobble it up simply because they have no viable alternatives.

Of course, there are probably exceptions to this, but there are very few. It's sad that I've never been able to find a Christian group at the same caliber as Coldplay or U2, but as long as the Christian-music-onlies continue to drive the industry, what I'll continue to get from that industry will undoubtedly be sub-par.

8:11 AM  
Blogger cde said...

What? You don't like Third Day?

12:13 PM  
Blogger Madison said...

Clint,

Not really. There are a few songs that I think are ok, but for the most part Third Day is only big because of Mac Powell's voice. Their sound is as ordinary as they come for rock. There is nothing innovative. There is a lack of passion that comes from the song itself. Maybe at times they can sing passionately, but their songs don't hook you.

12:49 PM  
Blogger cde said...

Naturally...I am no music expert...however I think that third day does have a distinctive southern rock sound. I am also a fan of Big Daddy Weave and Casting Crowns...stone me if you like. ;)

9:02 PM  
Blogger Muse-ack_Man said...

What did you read? My myspace is:

http://www.myspace.com/lwiseman

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rooster by Alice in Chains

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Man Nice Shot by Filter

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Your Life by Switchfoot

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Better Days by Goo Goo Dolls

11:16 PM  
Blogger Madison said...

Thank you for mentioning Switchfoot. There is a "Christian" band who has a great sound.

All those other bands are great too.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home