Thursday, May 11, 2006


I know most of you are sick of hearing about The Da Vinci Code but I will add my two cents on the topic since I finished reading the book early Wednesday morning.

There are many views on what to do with the book. Michael Dean, pastor at Travis Ave. Baptist Church in Fort Worth, TX, claimed we should either: embrace it, ignore it, boycott it, or engage it. Many of my evangelical brethren have fallen into the boycott it realm, and with good reason: they do not want to bankroll heresy. However, I am of a different mind. I like to know what something is before I make strong claims about it, so often I choose to engage issues, which is why I bought the book and wanted to understand what all the fuss was about.

Strictly from a fiction/literary realm the book is quite good. It has short chapters that leave you longing for more. It has one story line that is fulfilled through different characters at different locations all at the same time, sort of like the show 24. Dan Brown knows how to hook you. Much of the book reminded me of the movie National Treasure that was an enigmatic race for the ultimate prize. The interesting thing is that both The Da Vinci Code and National Treasure are concerned with the Knights Templar and the treasure they are presumed to have.

The strong objections I have with the book are probably common to most of you, especially in reference to Christ. Brown denies his deity, his miracles, and his resurrection, nothing new to Christianity. He speaks of Scripture as being modified by Constantine and denies its veracity, nothing new. In fact all the heresy in the book is just a play it again record going back to the first century. So why I am I alarmed?

The premises he projects are far from substantiated by any scholar. His methods are far from viable, his message, however, is quite believable. He writes so matter-of-factly that even those of us who know better might stop and think, “Well that sounds right.” I am not claiming I believe him, only that he sounds believable. This is the problem with this book: it raises doubt to the Christian faith. Sure the true saints well persevere, but all of us can be claimed as “damaged goods” by something we have experienced. The evil one is using this work, and the movie, to try to hurt The Way.

We need to engage this text. We need to understand his arguments, however foolish they are. We need to present the true gospel to this lost and dying world who are being deceived and will continue to be deceived by the Evil One.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nicolas Gold said...

I am going the ignoring route.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Nicolas Gold said...

Yes, I think many believers are taking the engagement route in that they are using this event as a witnessing tool.

The "other" best selling book and last chapter? Oh, The Last Temptation of Christ! Yes, good book; not so good movie. Yes, Jesus wins at the end of that book:
"'It is accomplished!' It was as if he said, 'It begins.'" Great closing lines.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Nicolas Gold said...

"Brothers, we are not professionals" by John Piper? No, wait it has to contain truth as well. Got it; "A Generous Orthodoxy" by Brian McLaren, right?

12:06 PM  
Blogger Nicolas Gold said...

You mean, Hey-Seuss, the Hispanic Messiah, author of the book, The Lat-in the Hat - "Yea, though I scat through the vat of the sombrero of splat, I shall pat no bat."

Preach? I am not allowed. My daughter told me, "Papa, don't do that."

3:37 PM  
Blogger Muse-ack_Man said...

Sorry about last night, I'll get that pedal to you today, I promise. Peace. By the way, I appreciate the Madonna reference above, how witty.

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home