Friday, January 06, 2006

Pat Robertson and Ariel Sharon

I do not intend to become involved in the issues of the Middle East. They are far more complex than I can understand. The Few people, and I mean few, that I know from over there all give different pictures of their world. It is one I cannot comprehend. However, it is a place a extreme significance for any Bible reader, especially for Pat Robertson.

If you have not heard, he proclaimed that the health issues concerning Minister Ariel Sharon "was divine retribution for the Israeli withdrawal from Gaza." You can see (however you view this issue) that this statement is quite inflammatory, as it was taken by much of the world. The White House has spoken out against his statement and with good reason.

I am not saying this is not an act of God. It could be a possibility. His way are mysterious, especially concerning the future of the Middle East (and I am no dispensationalist). However the reasoning for the comment from Mr. Robertson is as follows:

"God says, 'This land belongs to me, and you'd better leave it alone,'"

and later:

"According to The Associated Press, Robertson spokeswoman Angell Watts said of people who criticized the comments: 'What they're basically saying is, "How dare Pat Robertson quote the Bible?"'
"'This is what the word of God says," Watts told the AP. "This is nothing new to the Christian community.'"

This last statement is one that is appalling to me. This guy needs to review his hermeneutics (interpreting) skills. Am I wrong? Please let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home