Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Narnia


On a much anticipated day I allowed myself the rare treat of going to the movies. The reason I do not frequent films these days is for various reasons. I could list the moral depravity of Hollywood or I could make claims as to poor cinematography and a loss of art, but mostly I choose to spend my money elsewhere. However, this treat I awarded myself.

It has been asked of me if I loved it, the movie that is. My response has been one that usually deflates anyone who exuberantly expresses the need for al of Christendom to go and watch this film. (A passion which would revolutionize the kingdom if it were focused on reading the very Word of God, but that is a different post.)

Let begin by stating that I really enjoyed the film. It was well done and it almost represented the story Lewis wrote. These are admirable thing for any movie adapted from a book. In fact the movie lead my mother and my niece into a conversation about Jesus Christ and it helped clarify some Christology in my nieces mind.

What I did not like about the film might seem too small for some, however they are important for me. First, the line "he is not tame but he is good" which is one of the last lines of the film from Mr. Tumnus is not exactly the same in the book. I think this line is one of the most important lines of the whole series and it was slighlty stripped of its significance. Lewis placed it in the mouth of Badger and he said "Safe, of course he is not safe, but he is good." To me there is a difference between tame and safe. There is also a difference about the placement of the all important phrase. In the book it comes prior to the introduction of Aslan which paints a reader/viewers perception of the Christ figure in the story.

Second, I do want to laud praises on Disney for speaking of the Deep magic and the atonement language which Lewis incorporated, however I think there could have been a few more lines which explained the significance of the Stone Table breaking in two.

I hope I have not discouraged anyone from seeing this film. It was a treat for me and I anxiously await the next one.

1 Comments:

Blogger cde said...

I loved it as well...

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home